"Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become."

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bucket List...

YOLO, we've all heard it. It's the acronym that is sweeping our generation. You only live once. It's true, we are given one life to live and that's it. No dress rehearsal, no redo's...The camera is always rolling. From the time you come out of that womb to taking your last breath, it's show time. A lot of times you will hear people ask, "If you had just one day to live what would you do with it?". How about this..."You only have one life to live...What are you going to do with it?". It's the same concept really. I often think long and hard about my life, what I want to do with it, where I want to go, how I got to where I am, who I've encountered among my 19 years, who has taught me the most important lessons in my life. Two of my biggest pet peeves have to do with people and life. The first one being people who view life negatively day after day. To me we should be grateful everyday we get to open our eyes and have another shot at improving ourselves and enjoying the surroundings around us. I'm not going to lie and tell you that I am a happy person 24/7 because I'm not. I've had bad days, I've had bad weeks. I've had times where I never thought that anything would ever get any better, but the reality of it is that it does get better, but moping around about it won't find you that better solution. My second pet peeve is people that tell me about their hopes and dreams for their life, but then do nothing about it. The people that expect that their dreams will be handed to them or the ones who spend so much time looking at the past that the time runs out and by the time they get a foot out of the past, they have let majority of their life slip away. They develop roots in where ever they are, whether that be getting married or having kids. They are strapped and develop more hate and resentment in their hearts for now not only their past, but also their future. Those are your drug addicts, your alcoholics, your domestic violence offenders and victims. The ones who get high to take them away from reality. There is a reason it's called getting high, it's because it lifts you higher than your reality lows, but only for a short time. The ones who drink away their sorrows and fears because the buzz numbs the pain. The ones who take their anger, hate and resentment out on the ones who stay with them because they don't know any other way. The ones who put up with being hit and abused because they think they don't deserve any better. All those people were the ones who had dreams, but took too long to make something of them, or developed roots early on before they were ready. Those are the ones who were told they can't and they believed it. My heart aches for both types of people and in my future and my career I can only hope that I can give some of these people their wings back, to let them fly and make a better life for themselves.
Which brings me to what people refer to as a bucket list. A bucket list being a list of things you want to do before you die. I sat down today and thought long and hard about it. In all honesty as I grow I'm going to find more things that I want to do and I probably won't have enough time for them all, but the show is still on, the camera is still rolling which means I need to keep taking my opportunities and running with them.
But what I want you to know, for those of you reading this, is that you can do anything you set your mind to. Like I have always said, "Your background and circumstances may affect who you are, but you are responsible for who you become". Life doesn't wait for anything or anybody. Now is your time. Find what makes your heart happy and take it and run with it. Don't let anyone or anything hold you back and no excuses. You deserve everything in life you dream of. Nobody should be shorted of that.
With that I have one last question for you bloggers...You have one life to live. What are you going to do with it?






Karlee's Bucket List
 
1.) Travel to another country
2.) Make a difference
3.) Change someone's life for the better
4.) Be a mother
5.) Take my mom to an Ellen Degeneres show
6.) Live in the country
7.) Own chickens and goats
8.) Be healthy(Down 10lbs so far!)
9.) Marry and stay married to my best friend
10.) Give back to the Ford Family Foundation
11.) Stop being so afraid and start living instead
12.) Ride a horse on the beach
13.) Graduate College
14.) Go to Disneyland
15.) Be an inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment