"Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become."

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Reflecting on 2012

Well here we are, already 2013. Seems like 2012 was just yesterday! ;) For a lot of people it is popular to make New Years resolutions, where I on the other hand like to reflect on the passing year and jump into the new one strong!
2012 was a year full of many ups and downs and lessons. It was actually a year ago today that a drunken phone call put me on the right path for what I want to do in life. I cannot thank that person enough, he has changed my life more than he knows. This year came with a lot of tests with friendships. I lost friends, I gained friends. I learned how to forgive and forget to an extent. March was a month that tested me with my moral values and friendships. April brought good memories of Easter weekend in Tacoma and of course my birthday. June brought me one of my most valued memories, that I probably shouldn't hang onto as much as I do. July tested my home life, but also gave me memories of a good trip to Corvallis with my grandpa and a wonderful Ford Family conference! August is the month that I really started living. Moving away from my home and living on my own in a town where I didn't know anyone. September I got to see Jake Owen in concert, I shot a gun for the first time, I got the guts to have a much needed deep conversation with my dad, I started school at Linn Benton. October I carved pumpkins for the first time in a long time and had my first college Halloween experience. November brought me a lot of happy memories with family and friends. I got to meet the newest member of our family, Jace Anthony Collins. December did a great job of hitting me in the back of the knees and kicking dirt in my face all at once, but I managed to hold strong and the year came out better than expected. I went to my first Blazers game and got to caught up with one of my cousins. In 2012 my car saw a lot of back road miles, I got a taste of what it is like to be loved, and I found myself. Looking back on this year and where I am now, I can say I am content, actually happy with where I am at, where I am going, and who I am. 
So what does 2013 hold for me? To be honest I don't know for sure. I'm hoping a great rest of the school year, meeting new people, strengthing of the relationships I already have, and a great beginning of the next school year. Some things I hope it doesn't hold for me would be less god-awful dates(just throw me a nice, normal guy would ya?), less saddness and more happiness.
Have a wonderful New Year readers and remember each day you wake up is one to be thankful for. Today is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.








No comments:

Post a Comment