"Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become."

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Falling in Love is a Funny Thing...

For the longest time I have always believed that I didn't ever need anybody. I am still a firm believer in the fact that you don't need anybody and I will tell you why:
  • You should accomplish your own dreams for yourself
  • You should channel your own strength and self motivation to accomplish those dreams
  • Your happiness shouldn't be someone else's responsibility
  • You shouldn't look to others for your self-worth
My list could go on and on. I have always lived my life this way, never rely on anyone but yourself. I used to shut people out, I never got into relationships. It's just how I was, I subconsciously bitter about the hurt and constant disappointment of people leaving me that I grew up around, that I had built this wall to protect myself. I stayed strong, kept my skin tough, I took care of myself and my little family. I stayed non-committal with anyone I was talking to or whatever. But then I met Dillon and things were just different, he intrigued me and never failed to make me laugh. I remember telling my roommate "I don't do emotion. Do I really want to do this?" and she encouraged me to give it a shot, so we continued to pursue each other and now we are two months into a relationship and I couldn't be happier. I couldn't have asked for a more respectful, kind hearted guy that I click so well with. There is just something there that works and it's easy for us. I found that every time I grew bitter because I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better. I still believe that you should never let your happiness to depend on a relationship. I think it's a very special thing to find love. It's beautiful, nothing can match it. But make sure you find other things in life that you love besides your love. You need to love yourself and know how to take care of yourself before you bring someone else into your life. You don't need anyone and I will always preach that. You don't need another human being to make your life complete. But let's be honest, having your wounds kissed by someone who doesn't see them as disasters in your soul, but cracks to put their love into is the most calming thing in this world. I am so thankful for this wonderful guy I have found and I'm excited to see where life takes us.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful, Karlee. I'm so happy that you found someone to share your life with. God knows you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete